Wednesday, January 20, 2010

A multicultural excursion

Yesterday started out with a visit to the Russian consulate in an attempt to renew my Russian passport. I had filled out all the paperwork with my dad to make sure I did not make any mistakes etc etc and would not have any problems there. It was in an area where I have not been before so I left at 9:20 for the 11:00 appointment and figured Id just go wander around when I got there since it was only supposed to be 30 minutes away. Instead, I took a wrong turn when I got off the train, got lost and wandered around for an additional 20 minutes. Lucky for me, it was really nice out and everything was beautiful. At some point I decided I should actually figure out where I was so I asked a guy that was walking down the street if he knew where the address was. He didn't, but was incredibly nice and looked it up on his Iphone (its at times like this that I wish I had one) and took me there. They are not kidding when they say the Danes are incredibly friendly!

Well, once I got to the embassy, still early, the guard that opened the door to see why I was there said that I was not listed for an appointment. After some convincing, he let me in and went to go check with someone else. Twenty minutes and 3 people later, a woman asked for my documents. She disappeared for some time, then came back with a bunch of marks in red on the papers (always a good sign) and told me that I had to make a bunch of corrections and do it much neater because my handwriting was not nearly good enough. Long story short, about an hour, 5 documents, many reminders to write neater and 365 kroner later (including one that required me to remember the address of GBS..really?), I turned them back in. Im supposed to hear back in a few months so hopefully they dont deny me because of my not so perfect handwriting?

Anyway, then I went back to class and learned how to order a Danish (which is not called a Danish here by the way..its weinerbrod and I cannot pronounce it correctly). After class and yet another great dinner with the family, Kyle and I went back into the city and met up with a guy Alex from the class. We went to our first bar in Denmark, which was a Scottish pub where we listened to American music..multicultural indeed. We watched the MCU vs MCC game and then Im pretty sure half of the people in our program showed up. Caught the last train out at 12:50.

Today we had a scavenger hunt throughout the city so we saw the Royal Square, Parliament, the first Stock Exchange, Black Diamond Library (which is insane and we're going back Sunday to study there) and much much more. It was pretty freezing outside and I played photographer for the group. We ended up not going to a few of the places and going to get lunch instead. We had a program orientation shindig after for the European Politics class and everyone I talked to is in the other class (its split into two), but Ill get to see whose in mine tomorrow. Oh yeah, classes start tomorrow. Back to the world of being a student. But its okay, because Ill be a student in Copenhagen :)

Speaking of which, time to do some reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment